The Quad student housing community consists of two mid-rise student residences along the south side of The Pond Road east of Sentinel Road, featuring retail frontage at ground level.
Compared to other institutions, York University has proportionately fewer on-campus student housing beds for its student population. In addition, a significant proportion of the area surrounding York University is dominated by industrial and commercial land uses, constraining the supply of appropriate and attractive off-campus housing options.
The Quad was completed and opened for the Fall semester of 2017. Developed and managed student housing in the ‘suite-style’ accommodations preferred by students. The Quad is located on the surface parking lots at the southeast corner of The Pond and Sentinel Roads. Street-level shops, restaurants and wide sidewalks contribute to the ‘urban village’ atmosphere.
The Quad is a new and attractive housing option for the thousands of York students who currently live off-campus in the Jane, Steeles and Finch areas including upper-year undergraduate, graduate and international students. Residential occupancy of The Quad is restricted to York University and Seneca@York students.
York community members who currently reside near The Quad development will also benefit from this project through the addition of the new retail stores, restaurants and services in their neighbourhood, and the replacement of a surface parking lot with a vibrant and pedestrian-friendly urban community.
Key features of The Quad student housing community project include:
- 1, 2, 3 and 4-bedroom suites in which each resident typically has a private bedroom and each suite typically contains a shared kitchen. This student housing style is in keeping with current trends and matches student expectations as defined by the York University Housing Strategy.
- Monitored access control and security surveillance will foster a safe and secure environment.
- One senior staff member residing on-site at all times, plus additional staff on 24/7 alert call.
- On-site support to enhance the student life experience through a Community Assistant (CA) program. The CA, a peer to the residents, is the first point of contact for safety, questions and mentorship.
- Indoor amenities such as study spaces, lounges, business centres, a fitness facility and games room.
- Large outdoor courtyards (quads) for each residential building
Forum Campus Suites (FCS) was selected through a competitive bidding process as the preferred group to develop and manage the project. FCS consists of:
- Canadian, privately owned company specializing in the development of campus edge communities
- Developed over 11,500 beds in housing projects across 11 different universities
Forum Equity Partners Inc.
- Canadian, privately owned real estate development company specializing in Public Private Partnership transactions
- Manages over 800,000 sf
In collaboration with ARK Design and Urban Strategies, YUDC and Forum Campus Suites (FCS) co-operatively submitted a Precinct Plan for approval from the City of Toronto as required under the York University Secondary Plan. A public meeting was held in January 2015 to gain community feedback on upcoming development for this area. To learn more about this project and the Southwest Precinct Plan, download the project team’s Open House Presentation.
In late 2015, The Quad received municipal planning approvals from the City of Toronto. Construction began in December 2015, and the project opened for student occupancy for the Fall 2017 academic semester.
Want more information on Alpolic?